Monday, June 18, 2012

Getting in the "Last"s...

Wow. I'm nearing the end of a phase of my life -- one that I'll be thrilled to be done with, but will really miss -- my "life as a foodie" phase. I LOVE food. I know I'm going to MISS food. I'm practically MOURNING FOOD already. It's quite sad, almost a breakup.

Mentally, I'm 100% prepared for this surgery. Giving up superficial things like wanting a second serving of dinner, in order to gain back my life. I won't wake up every day in pain from a deteriorating L5-disc in my back. I wont walk slowly at the back of a group, because my knee swells up so badly. My orthopedic surgeon assured me my torn meniscus would heal itself, no need for surgery. That was THREE years ago. I'm tired of being in pain.

I noticed that I've built a mental checklist in my headache, and I announce out loud at every completion... On Mother's Day it was, "LAST buffet ever!" On May 23rd it was, "LAST binge-drinking birthday ever!" I've already made dates with gf's for my "LAST winery tour" and "LAST ice cream sundae"... it's pretty bittersweet (no pun intended).  And although I'm 100% (maybe 99%) ready for VSG, I have to remind myself, that I don't have to complete my list of "last"s...

Instead of having that "last chocolate cake", "last ice cream sundae", "last pizza", or "last chicken Tikka Masala"... I can come up with a WLS-friendly version of my favorites, that aren't heavy in carbs, calories, or sugar. Rather than store bought, I can save some money (and sanity?) by making my own high-protein version of things I don't want to break up with. I wont have to mourn strawberry milkshakes, because I've ALREADY found the perfect substitution, with 27 grams of protein :) I just have to be creative!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From a fellow foodie, I went through those EXACT same feelings. It was like each event felt like a funeral for some sort of food. I went out with a HUGE BANG for wine the day before my liquid pre-op diet started.

Not that I'm a vet yet, but 10 months out I can tell you there is nothing that I "can't" have. Those food funerals were really only temporary to get me through the healing phases.

You will have Tikka Masala again, heck, its full of protein! You just wont have huge bowls of it anymore. You will have a booze fest again, you just wont have as many, and you'll become a cheap drunk! Now I can have one or two bourbons or glasses of wine and be D.O.N.E. I go to vineyards with girlfriends all of the time still. Now I focus on the tasting, and if I don't like a wine, I dump it (before heck no, I was drinking it regardless!) The first 6 months or so I didnt do those things, but I am slowly letting them back in my life.

The things that aren't great for you will become condiments so to speak. You wont have huge pieces of cake and go back for seconds, but you will have a bite or two. It's amazing, but you really will be content with that.

Your whole vision of "normal" will change, it's amazing how quickly it becomes a whole new normal!

Glad I came across your blog! So excited for you and the journey that you are embarking on :)

Slim Smitty said...

Thanks lady!!! I've been subscribed to your blog for a few months now, and finally decided to make a comment this morning :)

Hope we can become sleeve pals. Is there a cuter name for that? I mean, (lap) band buddies is cute, there's gotta be something kick ass for VSGers :D sleeve sistas? lol j/k ;)

Anonymous said...

Just jumping in to giggle at 'Sleeve Sistas'. ;) I'll be joining your ranks tomorrow. Happy to have found your blog and on TT.

SL in CT

Post a Comment

Pages

Powered by Blogger.